This is a wiki for developing an extensive gameplay design patterns collection based upon all types of games, and that supports the design and analysis of all types of games.
What are design patterns
Who is it for?
Since we want to use this for our research (e.g. quote things here which we know won't change) we don't allow everyone to create an account. However, we do wish that everyone can comment on the talk pages and will make that possible as soon as we've figured out how.
I want to contribute
Contact Staffan Björk by email if you want to be given an account.
Some useful information is on the Help:Contents page.
See here for plans on how to work.
- Brusk, J. & Björk, S. (2009). Gameplay Design Patterns for Game Dialogues. Paper presentation at DiGRA 2009: Breaking New Ground: Innovation in Games, Play, Practice and Theory. London, UK.
- Lankoski, P. & Björk, S. (2008). Character-Driven Game Design: Characters, Conflicts, and Gameplay. Paper presentation at GDTW, Sixth International Conference in Game Design and Technology, 2008.
- Holopainen, J. & Björk, S. (2008). Gameplay Design Patterns for Motivation. Paper presentation at ISAGA 2008, Kaunas, Lithuania.
- Goude, D., Björk, S. & Rydmark, M. (2007). Game Design in VR Systems for Rehabilitation. Proceedings of MMVR (Medicine Meets Virtual Reality) 15. Vol 15, pp 146-148.
- Holopainen, J. & Björk, S. (2007) Design patterns are Dead - Long Live Design Patterns. Borries, Friedrich von, Walz, Steffen P., Böttger, Matthias (eds.) (2007), Space Time Play. On the Synergy Between Computer Games, Architecture, and Urbanism, Birkhäuser Publishing, Basel Boston Berlin.
- Holopainen, J., Björk, S. & Kuittinen, J. (2007). Teaching Gameplay Design Patterns. Paper presentation at ISAGA 2007, Nijmegen,The Netherlands. Winner of the The ISAGA Outstanding Paper award.
- Lankoski, P. & Björk, S. (2007). Gameplay Design Patterns for Believable Non-Player Characters. Paper presentation at DiGRA 2007, Tokyo, Japan.
- Lankoski, P. & Björk, S. (2007). Gameplay Design Patterns for Social Networks and Conflicts. Paper Presentation at Computer Game Design and Technology Workshop, John Moores University, Liverpool.
- Peitz, J. & Björk, S. (2007). Understanding Pervasive Games through Gameplay Design Patterns. Paper presentation at DiGRA 2007, Tokyo, Japan.
- Björk, S. & Holopainen, J. (2005). Games and Design Patterns. In The Game Design Reader: A Rules of Play Anthology, Salen, K. & Zimmerman, E. (eds). ISBN 0-262-19536-4. MIT Press.
- Björk, S. & Holopainen, J. (2004) Patterns in Game Design. Charles River Media. ISBN1-58450-354-8.
- Björk, S., & Holopainen, J. (2003) Describing Games - An Interaction-Centric Structural Framework. In Copier, M. & Raessens, J. (Eds.) (2003) Level Up - CD-ROM Proceedings of Digital Games Research Conference 2003, Utrecht, The Netherlands, 4-6 November 2003.
- Björk, S., Lundgren, S. & Holopainen, J. (2003) Game Design Patterns. In Copier, M. & Raessens, J. (Eds.) (2003) Level Up - Proceedings of Digital Games Research Conference 2003, Utrecht, The Netherlands, 4-6 November 2003.