Category:Staffan's current workpage
Revision as of 19:52, 22 April 2021 by Staffan Björk
Just a simple category to help keep track of which page Staffan Björk is working on.
In autumn 2020
- Check the master thesis "The Reform Journey Framework: Outlining Collaboration in Gameplay" by Erik Bennerhed & Anders Sivertsen
After DiGRA 2019
- check ultimate, imperative, and contingent goals (as tags perhaps?)
After CHI PLAY 2014
- check CHI PLAY 2014 paper on categories of communication
After CHI 2015
- Check for papers on Voice as Design Resource
- Add Red Rising to Entrenching Gameplay
- Connect HUD Interfaces with Mini-Maps
- Add link to PhD about Voice Interfaces: Fraser Allison (and CHI Play 2018 paper)
- Consider patterns categories: co-op, communication
- Add Hanabi and The Mind to Communication Channels
- Dark patterns as tag (also check assignment #5 in Introduction to Game Research course 2018.
- Check Rewards paper from Introduction to Game Research course.
- Check Melissa J. Rogerson, Martin Gibbs, and Wally Smith. 2016. "I Love All the Bits": The Materiality of Boardgames. In Proceedings of the 2016 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI '16). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 3956-3969. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1145/2858036.2858433
- Check Melissa J. Rogerson, Martin R. Gibbs, and Wally Smith. 2018. Cooperating to Compete: the Mutuality of Cooperation and Competition in Boardgame Play. In Proceedings of the 2018 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI '18). ACM, New York, NY, USA, Paper 193, 13 pages. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1145/3173574.3173767
- Check "Eduardo Velloso and Marcus Carter. 2016. The Emergence of EyePlay: A Survey of Eye Interaction in Games."
- Look for patterns collections in CHI PLAY 2018 publications
- Add Twitch Plays Pokémon - http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/most-participants-on-a-single-player-online-videogame/
- Add Edge of Darkness to Card Building when kickstarter is finished
- see Ramirez's DiGRA 2014 talk for examples to Spectacular Failure Enjoyment - also Sean Duncan's paper (plus play to lose)
- Relate to mechanisms, ludemes
- Check Keasock death in RPGs
- Dog eat dog - entitled players
- Environmental Storytelling -- relate Harvey Smith talk 2010, Rand Smith "making your players feel smart" GDC09
- Speedruns relate to glitches and theorycrafting, Mataes' DiGRA 2014 paper
- Spotlight compared to leaderboard - ref Amy Jo Kim
- include discussion on Unwinnable Games and Gygax's Role-Playing Mastery book to Gameplay Mastery
- check the pattern language for larp design for patterns
- check http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?doid=2701657.2633421 for navigational patterns
- check Rocha, J. B., Mascarenhas, S., & Prada, R. (2008). Game Mechanics for Cooperative Games. ZON Digital Games and Culture.
- check Seif El-Nasr, M., Aghabeigi, B., Milam, D., Erfani, M., Lameman, B., Maygol, H. I., & Mah, S. (2010). Understanding and evaluating cooperative games. In Proceedings of the 28th international conference on Human factors in computing systems (pp. 253-262). Atlanta, Georgia, USA: ACM.
- add patterns in Choice Your Own Adventures here
- add Brawl a la Guchera, Garfield, etc. ?
- add this to Trial and Error Solutions
- Consider re-writing Early Leaving Players to be support for this rather than the problem
- Inventory tetris (comment at approximately 6:20 of this )
- Differentiate between ordinary scores and winning scores (meters?)
- Consider the "Gating" pattern (see email conversation with José and Thomas Debeauvais (email@example.com)
- Failure Achievement? get 10 when losing races to build wonders in Civilization: Beyond Earth
- Check DMG for text about moving character between campaigns (re Adventures)
- Add Tragedy Looper as Replayability example
- Check trans-game information in Fische Fluppen Frikadell
- Deal with the inconsistence of actions such as Combat but identities such as Consumers
- Add Destiny as example of Massively Single-Player Online Games
- Multiplayer games and game masters and disruption of focus attention, competing for attention
- link Emotional Attachment to Cutscenes and similar
- Communication category for patterns?
- Add Juul's art of Failure to Spectacular Failure Enjoyment
- Go through all patterns and make sure they are placed in the MDA hierarchy
- Add Jonas' game to the Possibility of Anonymity pattern
- Adds patterns from the Irresisteble Apps book
- Dialogues -> Dialogue Systems
- Rename Massively Single-Player Online Games -> Massively Single-Player Gameplay
- Add dark patterns and social media patterns
- Add entities to Atomic Patterns
- Create relation between difficulty levels and replayability
- Link tension to uncertainty of information
- Risk/Reward dynamic pattern
- Refactor in Loss of Control and Transfer of Control to Helplessness
- Refactor Tension relations in Luck
- Publish patterns on the To be Published page
- Add reference to Jesper's Dead Time concept in Grinding
- Consider renaming Player Decided Rule Setup to Game Options
- Add Delivery
- Move Prisoners' Dilemma from Social Dilemmas
- Change Budgeted Action Points to Action Points
- Lägg till AI Players för Left 4 Dead series
- Fix name for Strutfotboll! (and thanks to Jonas Löwgren)
- Add tags for Tempo and Balancing
- Link Live Action Roleplaying to Alternate Reality Gameplay, etc.
- Consider the Life Simulation category for games
- Consider splitting subpatterns from can be instantiate by relation and splitting superpatterns from can instantiate
- Add conflict between actions have consequences and Freedom of Choice
- Check basic grammar issues on pattern
- Check hattrick and Drafting
- Check out Gillian's RPG patterns
- Split Obstacles parts out of Environmental Effects
- Split Privileged Actions from Privileged Abilities?
- From CHI 2009 - get point from Yee's WoW note and the Starcraft spectator note
- Add more games to Imperfect Information Games
- Separate Non-Diegetic Features from Diegetically Outstanding Features
- Fråga Dristig om vad supergubben heter i fighting spelet
- Find name for dropping and picking up trading for Transferable Items
- Add Kriegsspiel and link it to patterns
- Find proper reference to Sid Meier's "interesting choices" quote.
- Add following games as examples: Eufloria, Scrabble, Trivial Pursuit, Pinball Dreams, Pendragon, Mornington Crescent (an example of Conceptual Games), Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?, Fruit Ninja, Osmos, Snake & Ladders, the Worms series, Robot Unicorn Attack, Mafia, Knizia's Samurai, the Creatures series, the Dungeon Keeper series, SimEarth: The Living Planet, Alter Ego, Little Computer People, Metroid series - should PhotoGrab be removed?
- Add LARP examples to patterns from the Nordic LARP book, including the patterns Events Timed to the Real World and Heterogeneous Game Element Ownership
- Ensure that all mechanics from BoardGameGeek are represented. Done:
- Worker Placement
- Action Point Allowance System
- Variable Phase Order
- Check Roleplaying pattern for inclusion of more roleplaying books (desktop & dungeons, plus the ones at the office)
- Mikael Rytterhags subversions of camping (see handin 4)
- Magnus Olaussons ideer om direct-control switches
- Camile Baudron types of jumping
- Brice Clocher for types of exploration
- Find text from LeBlanc about feedback loops in games for those patterns
- Work in additional examples to time-handling from the Wikpedia entry
- Starving (denying resources) 10:06, 13 November 2020 (UTC)
for Grinding (via Christian Klinton)
- Best, Z. (2010). The Opposite of Grind. Available: http://gamedesignaspect.blogspot.com/2010/12/opposite-of-grind.html. Last accessed 9 Mars 2011.
- Josh. (2010). Blur Career Mode Tutorial Video Guide. Available: http://www.videogamesblogger.com/2010/06/05/blur-walkthrough-video-guide-ps3-xbox-360-pc.htm. Last accessed 9 Mars 2011.
- Lawley, L. (2006). In Praise of the Grind. Available: http://terranova.blogs.com/terra_nova/2006/08/in_praise_of_th.html. Last accessed 9 Mars 2011.
- Polack, T. (2008). Mechanics 3: Achievements. Available: http://www.polycat.net/1402/mechanics-3-achievements/. Last accessed 9 Mars 2011.
- Thompson, C. (2008). Back to the Grind in WoW — and Loving Every Tedious Minute. Available: http://www.wired.com/gaming/virtualworlds/commentary/games/2008/07/gamesfrontiers_0728.
- Dormans work on action-adventure games
- Milam and Seif El Nasr
- reference to Larsen's design patterns
This category has only the following subcategory.
Pages in category "Staffan's current workpage"
The following 13 pages are in this category, out of 13 total.